While Salisbury-Rowan Utility does not regulate private wells, we can perform both Bacteriological testing and Nitrate/Nitrite testing. Questions about this process can be directed to our Administrative Office at (704) 638-5370.
Testing your private well's water quality on a regular basis is an important part of maintaining a safe and reliable source. The test results allow you to properly address the specific problems of a water supply. This will help ensure that the water source is being properly protected from potential contamination, and that appropriate treatment is selected and operating properly.
It is important to test the suitability of your water quality for its intended use, whether it be livestock watering, chemical spraying, or drinking water. This will assist you in making informed decisions about your water and how you use it.
- Identify existing problems
- Ensure water is suitable for the intended use, especially if used for drinking by humans and animals
- Track changes over time
- Determine the effectiveness of a treatment system
How Do I Test?
- Pick up a water sample bottle
- Sample bottles and collection instructions can be picked up at the Salisbury-Rowan Utility Administration office at 1 Water St. between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday
- Collect a water sample from your well
- Submit the water sample to SRU
- Bacteriological Testing
- Return the sample to the SRU Administration Office within 30 hours of collection
- Samples are accepted back for lab testing Monday through Thursday between 8:30 am and 2:30 pm
- Nitrate/Nitrite Testing
- Samples must be collected on Wednesday morning and delivered to 1 Water St. by 9:30 am on the same day
- Each test is $30 per sample
- Only checks will be accepted as payment. We do not accept cash or credit cards
- Have the check ready when you submit the collected water sample
- Have the check made out to: Salisbury-Rowan Utilities